Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Daycare Separation Anxiety


I of course am talking about ME, mommy having separation anxiety being away from Emma. The thing is Emma LOVES being at daycare but mommy does not like being away. I had a hard time letting go when I put Emma in daycare, especially in the beginning. I did not mentally prepare myself well enough for the transition from maternity leave to daycare. Going from everyday being with your baby almost 24/7 to suddenly having this huge 8 hour gap in time together was extremely traumatic for me to say the least. Not to mention that Emma was still pretty much helpless at that point and was not getting attention every second like I had given her, which really upset me. I think she started daycare to early, but that’s a whole other post.

Right now, I have the amazing perk of her daycare being located right inside my office building. I know it is a rare and magnificent miracle and for the past 4 ½ months I have been able to go down and see her everyday which has helped both of us tremendously. In fact, in the beginning, I would go twice a day. I finally scaled it back to once a day a few months back. I am by no means trying to wave my good fortune in the face of others that don’t have daycare in their building but it is amazing to be able to leave the spread sheet you have been staring at for hours or run out of a two hour meeting to go sit and play with your child for a few minutes. I love every minute of it.

After going to visit Emma at day care every day I started getting to know the ins and outs of the place pretty well. I got to know the women who were taking care of Emma. I got to get to know the other kids. Everyone started to know who I was. It has been my second home. I never thought it would be so hard for me to let go, to not be with my child every second of every day (trust me I don’t really want to be with her EVERY second) but still having daycare so close is a nice arrangement for someone who is new to being a parent and a working parent on top of that.

I am finally getting to the point of my long winded mushy mush post. I think the day has finally come where I can’t go see Emma at daycare every day any more. She has entered her attachment phase. She cries when she is aware I leave the room. Drop offs are easy because she is still sleepy and disoriented, but when mommy shows up in the middle of the day to play then leaves? WHOLE different story. Not to mention she is moving around on her own now and is comfortable with the other kids. Hello independence! So, the need for me to see her everyday has lessened but that does not mean I want it to end! Where is the happy laughter I got to hear after a droning conference call? What excuse will I have to give my eyes a rest from the 1 point font hundred page spread sheets? The truth is, sometimes I wish I was working at the daycare and not doing other work. (A post on my job to follow). I suppose for now I will sacrifice my wants for my child’s well-being. I will stay away from daycare until Emma is over the clingy phase. I guess only one question remains … do they allow daily visits in elementary school? 

No comments:

Post a Comment