Friday, January 11, 2013

The Return of the Butternut Squash


Everything had been going smoothly. For an entire week we had made it germ free. I swore after the last sickness, once I got better, things were going to change! I was going to become the best mother EVER! There would be no stopping my wonderful motherness. I would let no more illness take me down! Yeah well that was short lived. It all started this past Saturday. Emma and I went to visit her Nana. I had made butternut squash for lunch, Emma’s first time having it. Everything went really well, better than expected. She loved it! I was pleased to be able to check off another veggie on her growing “love to eat” list.

So, what does butternut squash have to do with germs and sickness? Well, after a hearty lunch I gave her the rest for dinner (another large portion). At both sittings she ate a lot, more than I thought she was capable of eating. Then came Saturday night, the beginning of the worse vomiting/ diaper explosion nightmare I have ever seen and she had plenty of squash to fuel everything. I wish I had known that she was about to get violently ill from a stomach virus so maybe oh I don’t know, I wouldn’t have fed her 2 lbs of squash earlier in the day! My heart went out to my poor baby as yet again there was little I could do to help except bath her 3 times a day and do a million loads of laundry after endless secretions kept coming out.

Of course, like a rapid wild fire the virus took first me and then my husband. So once again, nothing got done around the house for a few days. I was very upset because we have now spent a month and a half in and out of quarantine. I am pleased to report that we are finally on the mend and making progress toward symbolizing a normal family unit. We even got our Christmas decorations put away. I told my husband last night that I finally had energy so we needed to do it now or never because who knows when the next evil virus would strike. I did see Emma’s nose running the other day. Maybe I should make her some butternut squash….just in case. 

1 comment: