Sunday, November 18, 2012

She’s Right In Front of Me


I just had an Aha moment! About a week ago, I meet up with an old high school friend to get Emma’s baby pictures taken. I had not gotten her pictures taken when she was first born and I sometimes regret not doing it but after seeing her pictures from our photo shoot I realized I had made the right decision to wait. Emma is so much more expressive now and so much more animated and it really translated well in the pictures!

In fact, Monika, our photographer, did an excellent job of capturing Emma from different angles and in different settings so much so that going through the pictures I began to see something that I had not seen before. Emma is in no way a one dimensional baby. In fact, she has already formed an incredibly complex personality and it came through brilliantly in the pictures. I was amazed to see the still images capturing the many sides to her personality. I figured I’d share them with you:

Bewilderment: As a baby, Emma is totally engrossed and amazed with the world around her. Everything is a new wonder to discover.  Some things are harder to figure out than others but she is ever wide eyed with amazement.


The “I think no one is looking so I will take a minute for myself” look: Emma does like to please the crowd and will smile more often than not, but sometimes she needs a break and has no problem taking one. She almost does it in a way where she thinks no one is paying attention and so she lets her inner thoughts play out on her face. “Yeah I see that they are trying to take my picture, which slightly amuses me, but I’m going to chill out on this chair.”



Angelic Innocence: Without even realizing it, she exudes this angelic sweetness just because. 




Joy: Often found on the face of my 5.5 month old, she is an extremely happy baby who loves to laugh along with anyone she keeps company with.


Time to “Get Serious”: For some reason, when she is trying out new sounds, specifically consonant sounds that might be a little advanced for her, she gets a very focused look on her face, like her future scholarly PhD essence is coming through.


Confident in Herself: She knows what she wants and goes for it. I see this one as her, “this is me” face. That’s right, this is my first time on a baby swing and I am doing just fine.


Food is Good/I love to try new things: Ever the explorer, Emma loves to try new things, solid foods included! She loves being able to sit up in her highchair like a big girl to partake in a ritual she sees the grownups doing, eating! She also gets excited if she is held standing up or is able to sit down next to you so she feels included.  



What are you doing: Ever aware of her human companions, Emma is like a sponge, soaking up every movement, every word, and every part of whoever is within close proximity. She observes everything with extreme attention to detail.




All of this was right in front of my face the entire time, Emma’s personality, her human complexities. It took the stillness of the pictures to capture each of her intricacies for me to truly be able to appreciate each of them, and start to begin to piece together who my Emma really is.


Our awesome photographer, Monika Catanzaro can be found at www.monikacatanzaro.com Check out the work done by this remarkable, creative mom!  

No comments:

Post a Comment