Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Adaptation and a Throbbing Wrist: Both Things You Need to be Ready for As a New Parent


News Flash!!!! If you are planning on becoming a parent and you are not good at embracing change, start mentally preparing now! Changes happen so often and come so quickly it is like having to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 27 and every update in-between in a mere few months. Imagine needing to learn a new operating system every few weeks, maybe even every other week! Well that is baby development (geez am I a nerd or what using a Microsoft analogy – odd because I am more of a mac person but anyway).

I think you get the point. If you are the person who still does not know what Twitter looks like or you have been wearing the same 1990s flannel shirt for years then you might want to open your mind to exploring new things because that is what your baby will be doing. Every object is a new experience and every week holds new untold adventures, everything from different amounts of poop to new body movements. We are talking constant routine changers here. As a younger parent and having grown up in a world with rapidly changing technology you would think I am well equipped to jump right in with fast paced changes. I’m hip, I’m down… yeah ok maybe not. I guess I am losing my touch or my knack for learning quickly because I cannot keep up with this girl!

It all started with the car seat. That’s when my ability to adapt took a wrong turn. I had been up to speed with moving her from the playpen to the crib to sleep. I had been ready with new toys and tethers when she needed extra stimulation and comfort. Then came the car seat. I think up until that point I had been ok with the changes. They didn’t seem so epic and were easy for me to grasp (ok the bed switch was tough the first week.) Now she has gotten to the point where I can barely lift her when she is in the car seat. She has grown too much to be lovingly cradled around from car to house and car to daycare in her safe seat. My main problem with this is that it has gotten cold outside now and I have her wrapped in a blanket in the seat with a fleece jacket on. Taking her out means I have to wrap the blanket around her and try to run to the door with diaper bag, purse, and whatever else in hand. For some reason, my brain cannot let go of the old habit of grabbing her car seat and going. I finally hurt my wrist carrying it, which was the worst because I type for a living (zing). So now I am stuck with a dilemma. An easy fix really, yet for some reason I can’t let go.

Besides the car seat dilemma, she is eating solids now and the pediatrician said to introduce a new food every 3-4 days! Um I don’t think I even know enough foods to introduce a new one every 3-4 days. She has also started to crawl which I am thrilled about! It has come with her trying to pull herself up too. All at the same time! So now, I am thinking we need to jump on the shoe wearing bandwagon. But for crying out loud she is only 6.5 months old! Can’t I just keep her in socks and booties a little bit longer? What if she only eats sweet potatoes for a week straight? Will this put her behind somehow in life? I think part of it all has to do with the fact that I work full time and I don’t get to see her as often as I would like so I try to make up for it by going through the stages at my own mommy processing pace. I can’t seem to bring myself to keep on pace with her. At the same time I don’t want to be the old fuddy duddy mom who is trying to look cool using a jitter bug.

How do I get on the same page developmentally with my child? Anyone else have these problems? 

1 comment:

  1. Actually, it's supposed to be best for her not to wear shoes until she's actually legitimately walking. We didn't buy shoes for Doug until he'd taken his first steps and was walking fairly well. They need the sensory feed back from their feet to help them with balance. So don't feel like you have to stop putting her in adorable socks and booties! And also feel free to ignore this and do what you feel is best for Emma!

    ReplyDelete