Friday, December 28, 2012

It’s Two Days After Christmas and My Child Has Barely Played with Any of Her New Toys


That’s right, as you might have deciphered from my last post because in my junked up cold medicine head it is so clearly obvious, Emma has only gotten to play with about two or three of her new toys. Most of them are still in a pile. In fact ALL of our Christmas presents are in a pile because mommy has been very sick and completely out of it. I don’t even remember half the stuff we got. Santa was good to Emma, but her Mimi, Nana, Aunts, and Uncles were EVEN BETTER to her. In fact she got so many wonderful new things (and by wonderful new things I really mean space sucking stuff) that we are going to have to create a whole new area for her in the house. I was thinking of rearranging her room because there is a lot of untapped potential in there but we usually spend the majority of our together time in the main living room/ dining room of the house.

I was prepared for this day to come. I thought we might make it a little while longer before we needed it, but it finally has to go….daddy’s precious bar. The one his mother lovingly restored for him. The one that has not moved from its same spot in the house since I moved in (ok it was moved away from the wall for a day so we could paint) but other than that it has been dead space. It usually ends up getting cluttered with all of our junk mail or odds and ends and becomes an eye sore so in a way I am glad it is going. My husband and I never drink any more so there is no use for it in that way either.

Now the only problem I am having is that officially baby stuff will be taking over a portion of our adult living space and I don’t think I like that. True as previously mentioned the bar space was used as a dumping ground for junk mail and other thingamabobs but still they were “adult” thingamabobs gosh darn it and I am not ready to see my thingamabobs go! I guess I feel like I keep losing more and more of my adult self.  I should go back to when it all started … first, the play yard came into the living room after Emma out grew the basinet and I was ok with it because it has wheels and is self-contained which means it is not a permanent fixation if we don’t want it to be. Then, the next item was the bouncer which made an appearance early on and seemed to fit just perfectly in the space between the front door and the chair. It has been there so long it has blended into the living room scenery for me. So now literally the walls have been closing in on me with baby stuff. I remember watching those house selling shows pre-parenthood and thinking “geez people you are soooo disorganized with all of your baby stuff I mean COME ON!” And now I find myself in that group. In fact I believe the title of president has been reserved for me.

Bickering aside we will have to cope at least for a few months until I hopefully wrangle this promotion at work and we can finally move. Until then, I am giving myself a baby challenge.  Clean up old adult beverage space and make it a happy, colorful play space and do it within the next month so these Christmas toys don’t start to collect dust. Also do it with a smile because after all, I am doing it for my daughter.

Think I can meet my one month challenge? I will write on my success or failure. Have you set any goals or challenges for yourself to get “baby” stuff done around the house? 

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes. Your child will accumulate an ungodly amount of crap. We moved before Doug's first Christmas, and it was a good thing too. Our very tiny living room/dining room was overwhelmed with the baby walker, the bumbo, play mat and all sorts of toys and paraphernalia. Luckily, after the first year you can put much of it away. But man, I felt that as soon as someone stepped foot inside, our house proclaimed: A BABY LIVES HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think, that as children spew stuff from orifices - that stuff magically morphs into play yards, play bouncers, bouncie seats, a stray sock, a teether, kushie toys, plushie toys, etc. LOL.

    Don't sweat losing adult space too much. As she gets older, you'll be able to shuffle her stuff back off to her room, and you'll gain back your space. I promise.

    Unless of course you get them nearly out of the house and get knocked up again like some crazy person.

    ReplyDelete