Friday, December 21, 2012

Yes I Am Right On Trend In 2012


So, I’m sure you’ve seen the posts. You’ve read the lists, counted the tallies, and even rolled your eyes a time or two. The list of the most popular baby names for 2012 has come out and guess what…(yes I am sure you already know what but I am going to point out the obvious anyway) since it seems that I am an unoriginal fool, my child’s name is the second most popular girl’s name for 2012.

Have I sent for the name change form? Have I dusted off the old baby name book to see where I went wrong? Am I frantically trying to think of a nick name that is funny, yet appropriate for an academic setting….not exactly. You see I really do like the name Emma. In fact, the rest of the Emma name lovers out there probably like it for the same reasons I do…short, easy to spell, easy to pronounce, sweet yet strong, works for young and old, a Jane Austin nod, I mean really I see little that could ever go wrong with a name like Emma … other than every kid in her class having the same name. I am hopeful at the moment because she is the only Emma at her entire daycare center (ok only 18 kids out of the whole place are infants, but Emma was a popular name last year too.)

In our unoriginal name choosing defense I wanted to name her Leah but my husband was not on board with that. Leah is in the top 100 by not top 10. There were a few other very close number ones such as Riley and Morgan. Even the great goddess Athena was in the running for a brief period of time (meaning aside I am really pleased we did not go with that one.) My name is Kathryn and my husband’s name is Thomas so I think we ere on the side of traditional names. We will never name one of our kids Wind or Rainbow or Bear.

 I was aware that Emma was top 10 in 2011 and knew it would continue to be popular in years to come so I made my choice knowing the consequences she would have to face. I am in no way trying to have history repeat itself, but I know exactly what the road ahead looks like for her because being a Kathryn in the 80s and 90s, I was never short on company in Kathrynland. To this day, I know 4 Katies and 3 Kathryns at least. In school I was corralled into the last name adder club and it was not too much fun (especially since my maiden name is hard to pronounce.) Emma lucked out in the last name department with pronunciation, but our last name is once again pretty commonly found. Lucky for me we chose Riley for her middle name, so if anyone needs her, they can just yell for ERP. 

No comments:

Post a Comment